Thursday, May 15, 2014

Meet Peg Weber: Book Artist & Founder of Washington County Open Studios.


Five years ago, Peg sat down in a living room with 17 other artists to plan and organize an open studios tour that would bring artists and their neighbors together.  Just three short months later, their enthusiasm and commitment to the dream came true.  

Peg's dream continues to grow.  Last year, on the third weekend in October, 50 artists and 2 local galleries opened their studios to over 2,000 visitors.  Artists did demonstrations in a wide range of media from traditional to contemporary including painting, book arts, ceramics, fiber arts, sculpture, metal work, mosaics, mask making and more.

How did Peg's Open Studios dream start?  

According to Peg, it all started in her childhood, "Both of my parents were creative people,  so my childhood environment was ripe with opportunity for my sisters and I to explore that in ourselves. When I was 6, I said I wanted to be an artist and have horses, so at least I meet half of those goals. My father was a well known photographer, and my mother was a successful potter and fabric artist. Both have been very encouraging in my adult years as well. I went to the Museum Art School, worked for a graphic designer for a while, but it wasn't until my late 40's that I rediscovered bookarts (at another open studio tour, by the way) and knew that it was time to put serious art making back in my life."

Life is challenging for us all at times, and Peg finds her art work is a way to escape the worries and difficulties.  "I feel calm and relaxed when making art, even when it is a struggle. I do not do "nothing" well, and art gives me something to focus on. And, admittedly, it is an excellent escape. I can ignore housework, worries, headaches when I am doing art, and come back to all of those things refreshed. My weekly Calligraphy class is the best therapy ever."

Happy accidents are Peg's favorite way to solve creative problems. "I enjoy taking the germ of an idea and mulling it over until it takes on a life of its own. I often think of solutions in the middle of the night. Planning is not everything, however, as things tend to not follow the plan. I like happy accidents, letting the process sometimes dictate what the possibilities are."

Peg loves shopping for ink and paper, of course, but what she really loves about making art books is the process itself.  And she loves showing that process.  "Books are such an ordinary part of our lives, we don't even think about the construction. In book arts it's all about construction: the content can be whizzy, but if the craftsmanship of the book is not there to support it, the piece visually is weakened, and sometimes quite literally, physically weakened.  When people visit my studio, I like to have books that are being sewn together, since this is a part of the craftsmanship that is usually hidden in the completed book."

No comments:

Post a Comment