Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Chat With Manuela Kalestiantz, Encaustic Artist.




Today, we’re chatting with our 2014 Sneak Preview Exhibit Chair, Manuela.  In addition to organizing our Sneak Preview exhibit opening August 6th at the Washington County Museum, Manuela is president of the International Encaustic Artists, PDX Chapter as well as a member of the Three Rivers Art Guild and Oregon Society of Artists. 

Grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit down as we chat with Manuela about her art journey.

Manuela, How did you get interesting in art?
 I was born interested in art, in Covilha, Central Portugal. I moved to Lisbon, the capital and Cultural Center when I was 9 years old.  I started drawing objects at the age of 2, my Mother tells me. My paternal Grandmother was an oil Painter however, she died right after I was born when I was 3 months old. I remember looking at her paintings as I grew up and feeling so proud of her! I always wished I'd had the opportunity to get to know her and talk with her about art and share what she felt as she worked. I guess there is truth to us inheriting certain genes or tendencies that predicate the path we chose in life. I am grateful to her for having given birth to my father even though she might have perished doing it, and to my father and mother in turn giving life to me. My surroundings, I believe influenced me in becoming and artists by being brought up around doctors and philosophers, being allowed not only to listen in on their dissertations but actually ask questions and make my own observations regarding the conversation topics. This along with my fascination with all images around me, and always trying to figure out the lines; visible and abstract, that gave life to the actual figure as lines intercepted each other at different points.
I studied Art – combination of Painting, Sculpture, Life Drawing, Anatomy, Art History, and Spatial Geometry at the Superior Academy of Fine Arts, and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts.
I later moved to the United States and once here I started working with Photography, Digital Photography and Applied Arts.



Why do you love what you do? What is your inspiration?
My “obsession”, has been the idea to spot what really isn’t visible to the naked eye and translate it to my artwork via my muses. My “Muses” come from different origins they might be based on people who raised me and helped me become who I am, or myself – the different facets of being- or it could be a “pebble” on the ground during the morning walk that made me think of something I didn’t see right way, or that made think of a possibility I had not considered before or that maybe helped me shed light into a personal journey. 
                                                      
*My “human muses” symbolize the different aspects of one’s personality, for example: the loving person within, the dancer passionately flowing on the dance floor, the sensuous woman within, the little prankster, the shy observer, etc. They all emerge from within the spirit and make themselves visible and known as they feel ready to. Others are the helpers that appear to prepare me and introduce the “human muses” to me. It is a self- emerging process that I must experience and allow to be experienced by others in order to become a fully realized being.



 Why you love what you do?
Encaustic truly encompasses all of my senses simultaneously as I work. The scent of the wax and resin in the Studio as it melts in the warming pot, the sounds generated as they melt and become Medium. The sensuality and feel of the Medium as my hands touch it as I carve. The pliability, challenge and creative journey the Medium allows me to experience as I pour, layer, fuse, scrape and carve over and over until the desired image emerges.

What’s you favorite part of the process?
My favorite part of this process is the layering and carving of the Medium. I love getting my hands in it and feel it come to "life"!


Do you use a weird or different technique?                                                                  
I use "Thread" which I previously prepare with Medium, in contouring certain areas of an image to enhance that area or give it fluidity and movement. I also use "Tape", Poured Medium and Twigs in the same way to accentuate specific aspects of my design. This method or process is usually complimented by the use of colored pigments which are fused in with the original surface painting to create depth and bring attention to certain elements.

What people will see at your studio?                                                         
As people visit my Studio they can expect to have a "sensory experience". They will have the opportunity to observe layering and fusing with both a torch as well as a heat gun, pigments, image transfer and imbedding as well as carving. I will be working on my "Muse" series, so they might be able to witness how I use thread and poured Medium to enhance image contouring as well.

To see more of Manuela’s work, visit her website at ManuelaKalenstianz.com



No comments:

Post a Comment