Friday, August 7, 2015

What Inspires the Art in our Artists?





Creating art is a mysterious process even to artists.  No matter whether it’s clay, painting, mosaics or drawing, how artists find their way to making art is a unique and individual path.

Here, a few of our 2015 tour artists talk about what inspires their work.

For some artists, the materials they use spark their art.
Angel Neiwert

“I love the process of transforming the clay into hand-coiled and slab-built sculptures as well as throwing on the wheel,” says Angela Neiwert, clay artist.  “ I am always in awe regarding the versatility of clay and its endless possibilities continually excite me and challenge me as an artist.”
Helvi Smith

Painter, Helvi Smith says, “I LOVE a blank canvas.  I may or may not have an idea when I set a canvas on my work table - but it does not stay blank for long.   I use squeeze bottles filled with acrylic house paint to put paint on canvas.  Or brushes.  Or fingers.  Or spatulas.    I am fortunate that I never have "Painters Block."   I love to paint and ideas flow as easily as the paint for me.”  

For others, inspiration comes from natural life and, sometimes death.
 
Emma Weber
For Emma Weber, it’s where she lives, in Washington County.  “As a primarily nature-inspired artist, the ease of stepping out your door and finding farmlands, mountains, forests, beaches, and wildlife that one has living in Washington County is an important muse for my work.”
 
Lynn Adamo
Lynn Adamo, mosaic artist, says “My initial inspiration comes from the natural world and decay of the man-made built world. I take photos of things that interest me wherever I go, and keep these ideas in mind when it comes to starting new piece.”

No comments:

Post a Comment