Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Chat with Valerie Sjodin, Mixed Media Artist.




This blog series of artist chats is a way to help our artists and visitors get to know each other better.  So, let’s imagine we’re all sitting around a table with a cup coffee or tea listening to Valerie as she shares her art journey.

Valerie, what got you interested in art and in being an artist?

"I think we are all artists, creative, expressing that creativity in many ways. Making art has been a refuge and delight for me ever since I can remember. I also love to teach and revel in the “aha” moment when someone makes something they thought they couldn’t do. As a young girl, my aunt was particularly encouraging to me and would give me art supplies. She gave me my first lesson and bought my first painting."
 

Tell us, What’s your favorite part of your process?

"It’s hard to say what my favorite part is. I enjoy each step as it unfolds! But my least favorite is definitely cleaning up! Often there is a point in a project where I feel I’ve ruined it. I don’t think I’m alone in that. It’s what I call the 12-year-old phase and the thing to do is to not give up, but believe it will improve and embrace the frustration, knowing it is a part of the process to a pleasing outcome. I always ask myself, “What’s the worst?” The answer is usually something like, “It fails and I paint it over with gesso and start over.” Something is always learned, so it’s not wasted."



 What inspires you and how does that come through your art?

"What inspires me most is my relationship with my Creator. When I make art, I don’t feel alone. It’s a conversation, a kind of visual prayer. Through that filter I see everything else and am often struck with the wonder of nature."




What weird and different material or technique do you use?

"What has been challenging me is taking inspiration from historical pattern in art and architecture and integrating an element or style into my own artwork, especially in art journaling and bookmaking."





When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

"People will experience a warm welcome into a space that feels like a kindergarten classroom for adults. It’s so fun and invites spirited conversations and questions. We may look through journals, ask and answer questions, “show-n-tell” and more. Interacting with people who visit during open studios is a highlight for me."


You can see more of Valerie’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website valeriesjodin.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment