Sunday, September 21, 2014

Ask an Artist: Barbara Hertel, Clay Sculptor.




Ever wonder how an artist becomes an artist?  Why they make art? Where they get their inspiration and what you’ll see when you visit their studio? 
Here’s your chance to get find out.

Why do you love what you do? 

"I love touching clay, I love letting it tell me what it wants to become.  I don’t use the wheel much, it gets in the way.  I love to hold the clay, feel its spirit, let it be born in my hands."

What weird and different material or technique do you use? 

"The raku process is really fun to watch, also I try to use different materials with my clay forms:  limbs from trees, nails, buttons, puzzle pieces, wire, ribbon, etc."

What got you interested in art?  Was it a class, teacher, family member or friend? 

"I have always been drawn to art but never had the chance to follow this passion until I was almost finished with one career.   Then after teaching for 18 years, I went to school in St. Louis and got a masters in art focusing on sculpture.  It was then that I was drawn to the ceramic studio.  My first class, my first piece, I was in heaven.  I knew I would always do pottery but in a sculptural way."

What’s your favorite part of your process?  

"I love making shapes and designs that are new for me.  I love the freedom to create whatever I want."

When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing …what part of your process? 

"They will see me glazing or doing the raku process if they are there at the right moment."

You can see more of Barbara’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website at barbarahertel.com


No comments:

Post a Comment