Saturday, September 20, 2014

Meet Lynn Adamo: Mixed Media Mosaic Artist.




Ever wonder how artists get started on their artistic path?  For Lynn Adamo, creation has been in her heart all her life.

I've always been interested in creative things,” says Lynn.  “I majored in graphic design in college, and spent 25 years as a graphic designer. Gradually I discovered tile-making, then mosaics. The itch to get away from the computer and creating things with my hands became very strong, and I "retired" from graphic design in 2006 to focus on my new career as a mosaic artist.”

Lynn not only creates fine art pieces, she does architectural installations which allow her to take her love of creation to a whole new level. 

“I can combine my ability to collaborate with clients to create work— but now the work isn't logos and brochures, it's custom mosaic installations, public or private,” says Lynn.   “And I’m able to explore my individual creativity making personal fine art work, in a way I never did before. I love the journey: it took 50 years to gain the life experience to even know what direction my creative expression would take!”

 
What’s her favorite part of the art process? Lynn says, “Gathering materials, chopping them up, and the meditative process of placing one small tesserae after another. The chance to get into a Zen state in my studio, even if it's only for a few hours here and there.”


To make her mosaics, Lynn uses a wide variety of materials.  “In addition to granite, marble, and mosaic glass called smalti, I love rusty old found objects.  I incorporate things like rusty nuts and bolts, copper and steel shavings from an industrial metal process.   A very important component of my work is thin set mortar— the stuff tile installers use to install tiles. I even use it on my fine art wall hung pieces. It can't be beat! Lately I'm experimenting with tinting a new white mortar that's nice and smooth, and using in a painting technique. It makes a wonderful texture.”
 
You can see more of Lynn’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website at www.lynnadamo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment