Friday, September 26, 2014

What weird techniques do artists use in Tigard?



Susan Gallacher-Turner's sgraffito bowl

“Dental tools, citrus reamers, homemade stamps, forks, wire are just some of the things I use to make marks in my clay.  I also sculpt window screening to add to my clay sculptures and masks,” says Susan Gallacher-Turner, ceramic artist.

Virginia Parks with her encaustic work



Virginia Parks, encaustic artist explains, “Sometimes, people will say the entire medium of encaustic painting is weird and different, using melted beeswax mixed with tree resin and pigment and painting. While it's melted, how weird is that! But it's an an ancient art form with a newfound following, so it's not all that unfamiliar a technique anymore. Personally I like to play around with building up texture on the surface of my paintings, creating air pockets and divots that others often try hard to smooth away with the torch. Then I fill those holes with oil pigment sticks to add visual depth to both the subject and background of my painting.”

Laurie Svec's eggshell mosiacs

 “I have been working with egg shells for over 40 years. Painting and decorating egg shells, and cut out shadow box style Christmas ornaments. I have used ostrich, rhea, emu, goose, duck, turkey, chicken, pigeon, dove, quail, cockateel, and finch eggs,” adds Laurie Svec, multi-media artist.

Wonder what other weird techniques you’ll get to see during Washington County Artists Open Studios? October 18 and 19 from 11 am to 5 pm, 40 artists will be demonstrating their techniques for you. 
Karen French with her raku kiln















“I do horsehair raku. This is the process of using horse tail and mane hairs as the reduction medium,”says Karen French, potter.

Stella Kaser's photo collage

Stella Kaser, photo collage artist says, “I use traditional quilting patterns and techniques as well as my own abstract versions to collage pieces of my past photographs together.”
Pam Nichols in her studio
“I use dried coffee grounds, glass frit, shaved metal, spice cloves, dried passion tea leaves, metal objects and my most favorite thing ferric oxide (rust)!,” encaustic painter, Pam Nichols explains, “I transfer rust from metal objects to paper which I incorporate into my painting or I will rust right to my encaustic paint,” Pam Nichols, encaustic artist adds,  
You can see art in the making October 18 and 19 from 11 am to 5 pm in the suburbs and country during Washington County Open Studios.  Get a tour map and directions FREE at www.washcoart.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment