Thursday, September 25, 2014

Ask an Artist: Sharon Orella, Copper Repousse.




Ever wonder how an artist becomes an artist?  Why they make art? Where they get their inspiration and what you’ll see when you visit their studio? 

Here’s your chance to get find out.

When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

"They will see me carving metal for some of the time or working on designs."

What weird and different material or technique do you use?

"Since I do copper artworks, you will see copper sheets and sets of oh so exciting carving tools and several hammers.  I have a love of tools, and when you work with metal, having a versatile collection is a must."
    
  
What’s your favorite part of your process?

"That is a tough call as I like equally the carving and the firing."
     
   
What got you interested in art? 

"One of my brothers actually got me interested in drawing at a young age.  He used to draw cartoons and I got into doing a bit of it too.  Then as I got older I did the typical color crayon stuff and then in Junior High I was introduced to lots of different art forms through art class.  I loved them all and took art all through High school and loved every minute of it." 


Why do you love what you do?
     
      "I love metal. I love the look of it, and that you can texture it in so many ways.  You can change the color with heat or apply patinas or just leave it shiny, they are all beautiful!"

You can see more of Sharon’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website at www.sharonorelladesigns.com



No comments:

Post a Comment