Monday, October 13, 2014

A Chat with Anna Lancaster, Oil Painter.




This blog series of artist chats is a way to help our artists and visitors get to know each other better.  So, let’s imagine we’re all sitting around a table with a cup coffee or tea listening to Anna as she shares her art journey.

Anna, what got you interested in art and in being an artist?

“My dad started me drawing at a young age to keep me engaged in learning. I didn’t do well in school. I understand now that I’m dyslexic. Many times growing up it seemed painting and drawing was the only thing I did well. As I became more accomplished at art it gave me courage to engage on other areas.”


What’s your favorite part of your process?

“I enjoy many aspects of creativity. Light illuminating things in nature and life are inspiring. I believe that God as the ultimate creator shared that gift with his creation and is why everyone enjoys creativity in all aspects of life.”


What inspires you and how does that come through your art?

“The beauty of what I see, sunlight on nature, city streets; moonlight on a natural landscape, evening city lights gleaming in the night. The world is in pain and I believe depictions of beautiful things have a healing effect. I choose to uplift with what is good.”
What weird and different material or technique do you use?

“My materials in both my traditional and contemporary work are tried and true archival materials for oil painting and oil painting surfaces. Too much experimenting without foundational knowledge of archival materials can result in work that falls apart quickly.”


When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

“The actual painting process after the idea has been conceived. It is more informative than you would think. I plein air paint when my back will allow me to and have always demonstrated at art venues. People are often surprised that a painting isn’t executed in one hours’ time. I always photograph my plein air studies so I have the information reference and often  I’ve used it to develop a large studio work. They become small little gems that have their own merit.”

You can see more of  Anna’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website AnnaLancasterFineArt.com or her blog http://annalancasterfineart.com/blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment