Friday, October 10, 2014

Ask an Artist: Virginia Parks, Encaustic.




Ever wonder how an artist becomes an artist?  Why they make art? Where they get their inspiration and what you’ll see when you visit their studio? 

Here’s your chance to get find out.

What inspires you and how does that come through your art?


“Nature is my primary inspiration. While you really can't get more beautiful than the real thing, I like to explore the colors, textures, and creatures-- both floral and faunal-- in a way that honors the feelings of happiness and gratitude that Nature evokes for me.”

What’s your favorite part of your process?
  
“For me, the favorite part of the process is coming up with new ways to incorporate images or ideas created in different media, printing a figure drawing onto fabric, for example, or taking a design inked on paper using a handcut stamp and fusing it into the wax as a layer to build upon.” 

What weird and different material or technique do you use?

“Sometimes, people will say the entire medium of encaustic painting is weird and different, using melted beeswax mixed with tree resin and pigment and painting while it's melted, how weird is that! But it's an an ancient art form with a newfound following, so it's not all that unfamiliar a technique anymore. Personally I like to play around with building up texture on the surface of my paintings, creating air pockets and divots that others often try hard to smooth away with the torch. Then I fill those holes with oil pigment sticks to add visual depth to both the subject and background of my painting.”

When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing …what part of your process?

“When people come to my studio, they'll get to see almost the entire process, from prepping the wood panels before I start painting, to the process of building up layers, incorporating other media, and using tools and techniques to develop the painting. I'll demonstrate various techniques and explain the process I use for making the medium (that's the one part of the process I won't be demonstrating since it takes up a lot of room and concentration). I'm always happy to talk about the process, so visitors are welcome to ask me anything!”

Why are you an artist? What got you interested in art?

“I'm an artist because the creative process brings me joy. I'm happy playing with everything from fabric to paper to wood. My mother and my older sister inspired me when I was very young, as both were excellent sewists and my sister could draw anything from life. I started taking classes in different media -- watercolor, pastel, life drawing, woodblock printing --  until I found one into which I could incorporate all those techniques and more, Encaustic painting. It's been an adventure ever since and I feel like I'm still just scratching the surface.”

You can see more of Virginia’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment