Monday, October 6, 2014

Meet Katrina Fowler, Mixed Media Artist.






It all began with elves.  That’s what or maybe who got Katrina interested in art.

 “Yes, definitely elves, oh and dragons and well anything fantastical!  It all started when I was in 7th grade when I was introduced to the wonderful comic books by Wendy and Richard Pini in the series Elfquest.  It wasn’t about superhero’s and it was created and drawn by *gasp* a woman!  I loved the initial series and still have my comic books today.  I’d trace the elves and pixies and make up my own tribe of wayward adventurers. “

But it didn’t stop there, according to Katrina, she got encouragement from family and teachers, too.   

“It also didn’t hurt that my parents were rather crafty themselves.  They’d spin, knit and loom wool from the sheep and angora rabbits raised on our ranch in Idaho.  My father, in his younger years, tried his hand at painting while my mother Tole painted and as us kids grew up she’d create some amazing clothes and costumes.  So you could say I grew in a rather nontraditional manner – heck I’ve lived on a 35 ft sail boat, a mansion, and single wide trailer. I studied painting at Marylhurst University and received a BFA in 2001.  I then went on to studio media arts and 3D animation at Ai and took an advanced workshop in children's book illustration," says Katrina.



When Katrina gets lost, she knows she’s found her way to her favorite part of making art. 

She explains,“Getting so into the painting that I lose track of time and *Poof* 5 hours have flown by and not even realize it.

Katrina lets her mood lead her way to mixing media.  

According to Katrina, “Mixed Media can be an overused term but I do sometimes incorporate ‘other’ items in my work.  From modeling paste to scrapbook paper or glued on gems, or plant material.  I sometimes will finish a piece in Photoshop to give it that final oomph.  It just depends on my mood and if it fits the piece."

Will there be elves or paint or both when you visit Katrina’s studio?   

“I’ll have 3 to 4 paintings that I’ll be working on at the same time and each one will be started differently.  Like splatters for one, glued pattern making paper, modeling paste and stencils and so on and so forth.  It will be a surprise and fun to watch so come on by," says Katrina.

You can see more of Katrina’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website at www.katrinafowler.com

No comments:

Post a Comment