Thursday, October 9, 2014

A Chat With Catherine Bede, Watercolor Artist.




In this blog series of artist chats, I’m hoping to help our artists and visitors get to know each other better.  Catherine is new to Washington County Open Studio Tour this year.
So, let’s grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit down and find out more about watercolor painter, Catherine Bede’s art journey.

Catherine, what got you interested in art? 


“I just love to draw and paint the beauty I see in nature.  When I was very young my mom enrolled my sister (who is also an artist) and me in drawing lessons at Valley Art in Forest Grove.  That is my earliest memory of feeling like I could really draw and that I was really an artist.”

What’s your favorite part of your process?

“I love the whole process of creating a painting, from studying my subject matter to the beginning sketch to a complete drawing to the finished painting.  I enjoy the whole process.”

What inspires you and how does that come through your art?  

“What inspires me is that there really is beauty in any moment. Even in the smallest things. Even when you aren’t expecting it.  I love having the ability to capture that and express having that awareness. And to invite others to notice it too.”


What weird and different material or technique do you use?

“I use a lot of the wet-on-wet watercolor technique for very detailed flower paintings.  I also like to leave a bit of white space to separate shapes in my paintings.”

When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing …what part of your process?

“Hopefully they will get to see a bit of the whole process, depending on when they are there.”

You can see more of Catherine’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website at www.catherinebede.com and blog http://catherinebede.com/in-the-studio/

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed a lot while reading these details. I also would be starting the arrangements for my daughter’s sweet 16th birthday bash and would be booking one of the nearby home studios NYC so that I can keep this party as secret from my kids (especially the birthday girl). It is definitely going to be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete