Friday, October 3, 2014

Ask an Artist: Helvi Smith, Recycled Painter.






Ever wonder how an artist becomes an artist?  Why they make art? Where they get their inspiration and what you’ll see when you visit their studio? 
Here’s your chance to get find out.

What weird and different material do you use?

“I use house paint almost exclusively in my paintings.    People give me leftover paint all the time!   I love the recycling aspect that Susie's bedroom color is now a great color in one of my paintings.   I use squirt bottles with paint in them like some artists use brushes.   I love paint.”
 
When people come to your studio what will they see you doing?

“When people come to the studio - they will see my "gallery" first.   I LOVE the color orange and the walls are painted a deep vibrant orange and that is a big hint that there are few neutral colored paintings around here.”

What’s your favorite part of your process?

“Put a white piece of canvas in front of me and it is so SO exciting to see what happens next.   Sometimes I have an idea of what I want to paint and sometimes I just let go.   Letting go is the hardest and best part!”


What got you interested in art?

“I have always been interested in art.  However, about 5 years ago, a friend made a New Year's Resolution to make more art in her life, and I asked if I could tag along with her resolution.   So we  made a plan to meet at her house every Sunday and "make art."  I found some canvas at Goodwill, and I had leftover house paint and off we went!  I fell in love with painting.  I paint every day now.”

Why do you love what you do?

“I am never bored with painting.   I am never afraid to try anything that comes to mind.  I feel so lucky to have found out what I am meant to do.” 

You can see more of Helvi’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website at www.helvismith.com

No comments:

Post a Comment