Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Ask an Artist: Susan Gallacher-Turner, Ceramics




Ever wonder how an artist becomes an artist?  Why they make art? Where they get their inspiration and what you’ll see when you visit their studio? 

Here’s your chance to get find out.

What’s your favorite part of your process?

“Sitting in the quiet at my wheel and putting my hands around a fresh ball of clay.  Drawing through the under glaze and seeing a pattern or image emerge.  Holding a finished cup or bowl and knowing I had a hand in creating it.”


When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing …what part of your process?

“I’ll be making masks with clay, under glazing some thrown pieces and drawing or marking into them with tools you find around the house like a fork, pattern marker and citrus reamer.”

Why do you love what you do?

“Art opens up my eyes and soul and I see everything around me differently.  Skies aren’t just blue but cerulean.  Clay isn’t just mud but a canvas.” 


What got you interested in art?

“I’ve always loved making things from doll clothes and mud pies to paintings, copper repousse’, metal screening masks to clay.  I started taking art classes as a rebellion in high school and haven’t stopped since.  I’ve taken classes in beading, watercolor, life drawing, fiber art, sculpture and ceramics.  One wonderful day, an art patron saw my clay sculptures and gave me his kiln and wheel.  I took wheel throwing classes and thanks to his amazing generosity, a whole new body of work was born.” 


What weird and different material or technique do you use?

“Dental tools, citrus reamers, homemade stamps, forks, wire are just some of the things I use to make marks in my clay.  I sculpt window screening to add to my clay sculptures and masks.” 

You can see more of Susan’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website at www.susangt.com




No comments:

Post a Comment