Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ask an Artist: Sierra Lonepine Briano, Mixed Media Painter.




Ever wonder how an artist becomes an artist?  Why they make art? Where they get their inspiration and what you’ll see when you visit their studio? 
Here’s your chance to get find out.

Why do you love what you do?

“I love what I do because when I'm in my studio I don't have to think about anything else. It's an escape into another world that is only inhabited by me!

What weird and different material or technique do you use?” 

“Most recently I have begun making handmade paper from mushrooms. The kind that grow on dead wood. I have also used plant skeletons in some of my collage work. Oh yes and "Road Kill", don't forget "Road Kill" a line of jewelry I made from things I found on the ground. Once I passed up the banded leg of a dead pigeon--it was just too over the top! But if I saw it now, I would probably pick it up!”

What’s your favorite part of your process?
  
“My favorite part of making art is getting new ideas. Sometimes they come in dreams, sometimes from something I see in my wanderings or something I am inspired by in the art work of some else.”


When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing? 

“No telling what they might find me doing. I could be painting on an old board, on canvas or reverse painting on glass. I could even paint them if they stand still! Or I might be tooling tin or making handmade paper or fabricating a piece from natural materials I have found.”

You can see more of Sierra’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website at sierrabriano.com

1 comment:

  1. This is a studio that is a must see! Not only for the art but to meet the artist as well!

    ReplyDelete