Saturday, October 18, 2014

Open Studios Inspired Our Artists To Open Their Own Studios.





First, they were tour visitors.  They were inspired.  And then, with the open studio seed planted, they began to see the possibilities of becoming part of an open studio tour.

“Being in another artist’s studio space, watching them work, gave me the creative juice to go home and create something myself.  Learning little tips, seeing how they organized their studios was always inspiring to me,” says Pam Nichols, encaustic artist.


Potter, Karen French adds, “When I lived in Corvallis, I went to another artist’s open studio.  It was different from what Washington County Open Studios does.  It was more of a sale atmosphere.  But it did make me wonder how I could do something like it but offer more for people to do.”



“I visited many artists’ studios long before I ever thought of myself as an artist.  I loved watching and learning about different media.  But it was the artist’s stories that were most inspiring to me.  It made me see the possibilities of doing my own art.  And here I am, a few decades later, showing my work and doing my own open studios,” says Susan Gallacher-Turner, ceramic artist.

To Pam, visiting taught her so much about the importance of having a good feeling in a studio space and how that makes her art better.

 “Looking back on it now, I feel that artists, who were successful in their careers, had amazing spaces that you wanted to just be in.  Their studios were a work of art in itself.  I know that for my studio, it is important for me to have it feel good, no clutter, clean, great light, possible great view, having my things easily ready to use.  I think you can create this kind of space from beautiful large room to a part of a dining room.  Building a comfortable studio space can be an important step in making your art.”

Inspiration is everywhere on the Washington County Open Studios tour.  It not only gives both artists and art lovers a chance to share, learn and grow.  It also gave these artists encouragement to keep going and become successful artists.

Susan adds, “It just amazes me when I look back and see how far I’ve come in my creative life and I hope that I can inspire the creative spirit in all who come to my studio.  Because, you just never know, someday, they could be doing an open studio tour, too.”


Get inspired this weekend on the Washington County Open Studios Tour.  It's free.  Artist studios open Saturday and Sunday from 11 am to 5 pm.  Tour map and information online at washcoart.org






No comments:

Post a Comment