Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Chat with Patti Isaacs, Silk Painter and Paper Artist.




In this blog series of artist chats, I’m hoping to help our artists and visitors get to know each other better.  So, let’s imagine we’re all sitting around a table with a cup coffee or tea listening to Patti share her art journey.

Patti, What got you interested in art?  Was it a class, teacher, family member or friend? 


“All of the above! I have always loved to draw, paint and anything else that is creative. The women in my life taught me to sew, quilt, crochet, embroider and knit. We had neighborhood drawing classes in the summer when I was young. I have had many inspiring teachers and friends who have been my guiding lights.”

Why do you love what you do?

“I love the excitement of taking nothing and creating something wonderful!”

 What’s your favorite part of your process?


“When I touch my brush to the white surface of the silk and I see the dye explode across the design, in that moment I know I am doing the work I am meant to do.”

What weird and different material or technique do you use?

“I use a French technique called "Serti". Which roughly translated means boundaries. My "paint" is Procien Dye.”

When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

“I will demonstrate the whole process of silk painting from the initial drawing to painting the silk with the prepared dyes.”

You can see more of Patti’s work and visit her studio during Washington County Open Studios tour October 18-19th from 11am to 5pm.  And on her website at pattiisaacs.com






No comments:

Post a Comment