Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Ana Quinn: A Peek into her Process.




How do artists make art?  The answer is as unique as the art and artist.  And on the Washington County Open Studios tour on October 17th and 18th, you get a peek behind the scenes into the art making process.  Every artist is opening up their studio to you, showing you their materials, inspirations and demonstrating what they do and how they create art.

Ana, when you begin your work, what inspires you?

“My cats, ancient art forms, and the life cycle of the salmon as well as how colors play against each other. I make both functional and decorative work.  I just finished a dinnerware set for a niece and am working on a series of fantastic birds.”  


Ana, do you have a weird, different material or technique you use and does that inspire you?

“I enjoy altering thrown forms by stamping and darting them, as well as cutting apart and rearranging enclosed forms to create sculptures. Inspiration has come from cave images, petroglyphs, and designs employed by the ancient Pueblo Indians, as well as the life cycle of the salmon.  These images are drawn and painted over a glazed surface.”

How did you find your way to art, Ana?

“I've always loved clay and working with my hands. I used art, especially clay as a middle school teacher at the daVinci Arts Middle School in Portland. My first wheel was a Soldner kick wheel, which I carted from Colorado to the northwest.  At one point we had to  build a fence around my wheel as goats were slurping up  the clay!  When I retired from teaching the clay became my art, as the students are the art in any classroom.“


When people come to your studio, Ana, what will they see you doing …what part of your process?

“I may be trimming a 'green' pot, designing a piece of glazed pottery, sculpting a bird head or drawing a design on a nearly finished vessel.  I'd be happy to explain whatever I'm doing at the time.” 


Ana, what is unique and inspiring about your studio?

“My studio has a deck with a sliding glass door which until recently has given me a view of my garden, however, I just purchased an upload gas kiln which now sits on a palette in front of my deck!  This will allow me to be totally self-sufficient !  Besides my new kiln, I have an electric potter's wheel, two utility sinks, 2 work tables, and an electric kiln in the garage to bisque my work.”

See Ana’s art and get inspired during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment