Friday, September 18, 2015

Meet the Artist: Chris Goldthorpe.




How does an artist get started making art?  Where do they get their inspiration?  What kind of weird things do they use to make art?  And where do they create?

Get the answers and see inside all 41 artists’ studios during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.

Here’s a quick interview with one of this year’s new artists, Chris Goldthrope.

What is unique and inspiring about your studio set up?
I take most of my photos outdoors but when I do shoot indoors I often use the garage – when I move the cars out there is a lot of space and if I want to do anything messy such as splash photography there is no carpet or hardwood floor to ruin. You could say that my studio is the great outdoors although I do shoot indoors also. The Oregon Coast would rank high on my favorite outdoor locations.”


When you begin your work, what inspires you and/or gets you going?
“Everything starts with using the camera to capture the impression I get from being in an interesting location. I find myself inspired when I am at any of the beautiful places in Oregon at a time when the light is perfect.”

How did you find your way to art?
“My earliest memories of photography were as a small child. My father had a darkroom and I was fascinated by how the images would gradually appear on the photographic paper when placed in a tray of developing chemical. I have fond memories of working with film but I am even more excited by digital media which offers endless creative possibilities.”


What odd, weird, different material or technique do you use and how does that inspire you?
“I recently started using Filter Forge which is software that allows you to write your own filters, I've been experimenting with the concept of using a small number of elements repeated many times at different scales to create a sense of depth in my photos.”


When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing …what part of your process?
“I will be using various pieces of software – Photoshop, the Nik Collection and Filter Forge to create finished images from raw digital media.”

Meet Chris and 40 other artists October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment