Thursday, September 24, 2015

Meet the Artist: Linda Gerrard.




How does an artist get started making art?  Where do they get their inspiration?  What kind of weird things do they use to make art?  And where do they create?

Get the answers and see inside all 41 artists’ studios during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.

Here’s a quick interview with one of this year’s new artists, Linda Gerrard.


 Describe your studio. What is unique and inspiring about your studio set up? 

Both my studio and display area are in my daylight basement.  This allows me to spend time in my studio any time the desire to create hits me.”  

When you begin your work, what inspires you and/or gets you going?

“My ideas for glass designs come from the beauty of nature that surrounds us all, our travels and my husband’s photography.   Working with glass is very different than working with paint or photography, so your finished piece of glass art will always look quite different than your inspiration.”


How did you find your way to art in spite of any obstacles in your path?
“Working for over 35 years in various administrative and management positions then to project management and finally moving into writing computer syntax, I was surrounded by structure.   Needing to feed my artistic side, I found ways to be creative through gardening, fresh, dried and synthetic flower arranging, water color painting and creating fused glass art.”

What weird, different material or technique do you use and does that inspires you?

“Using large sheets of glass that I hand cut and various sizes of crushed glass called frit, I make a variety of pieces from plates and bowls to traditional scenes and contemporary art to hang or display in stands.  Depending on the desired effect, I layer and arrange the glass and use multiple firings to create visual depth.   By controlling the temperature and time in the kiln, the pieces can be completely smooth or have very soft, or quite strong, texture. 
In order to keep my designs current and interesting, I am constantly learning and challenging myself to try new techniques.  For instance, my love of watercolor gave me the idea to create pieces using powdered glass to resemble watercolor paintings.” 


When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

“Visitors will see designs made from sheet glass and/or crushed glass (frit) and will have the opportunity to ask questions about how designs are developed and the temperatures used to determine the final texture of the glass.”

Meet Linda and all the other 40 artists October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment