Monday, September 21, 2015

Meet the Artist: Lorraine Pascuzzi




How does an artist get started making art?  Where do they get their inspiration?  What kind of weird things do they use to make art?  And where do they create?

Get the answers and see inside all 41 artists’ studios during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.

Here’s a quick interview with one of this year’s new artists, Lorraine Pascuzzi.

What is unique and inspiring about your studio set up? 
“The studio is in a country setting which was once an occupied home on the family farm.
Surrounded by long standing fir trees with a babbling creek running below the back yard, The setting is very quiet, peaceful and open.”


When you begin your work, what inspires you and/or gets you going?
“Inspiration comes at different times. Sometimes at night before sleep when the mind is free to wander or seeing something beautiful in nature and letting the imagination take hold.”


How did you find your way to art?
“Drawing and painting is something that I have consistently done since I was six years old.  I do not remember ever not drawing and painting. In school in the class room always sketching, always drawing. Drawing, sketching and painting has always come as naturally to me as drinking water. The realization that I have particular style that was a gift which I have little or no control over was good to finally realize and appreciate My
greatest inspiration was my mother.”

What technique do you use and does that inspires you?
 “Bright colors are usually my ‘go to.’ However I also very much enjoy creating pencil sketches.  Working on suede matt board with pastel or water based oils also gives a real interesting effect which I very much enjoy.”

 

When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?
“Usually I have three pieces going at the same time; an oil, a watercolor and a pencil sketch or a pastel. My studio is large enough that I can do that and I find it is a good idea to step away from a piece for a while and to go work on something else . So during the open studio tour, there will quite possibly be three pieces of work in progress all in different stages and  mediums.”

Meet Lorraine and all the other 40 artists October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment