Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Helvi Smith: A Peek into Her Process.




How do artists make art?  The answer is as unique as the art and artist.  And on the Washington County Open Studios tour, you get a peek behind the scenes into the art making process.  Every artist is opening up their studio to you, showing you their materials, inspirations and demonstrating what they do and how they create art.


Helvi, when you begin your work, what inspires you or gets you going?  

“I LOVE a blank canvas.  I may or may not have an idea when I set a canvas on my work table - but it does not stay blank for long.   I use squeeze bottles filled with acrylic house paint to put paint on canvas.  Or brushes.  Or fingers.  Or spatulas.    I am fortunate that I never have "Painters Block."   I love to paint and ideas flow as easily as the paint for me.  
I am a fearless painter and often try new ideas that come to mind.   For example:   I wanted to paint some tall skinny paintings as they are a size that I imagined would fit in a lot of different kinds of venues.  So I tried it.   I call them Room Sticks because everyone has room for art that is 50" tall and 5" across.  I am very pleased with how they turned out.”   


How did you find your way to art, Helvi?

“I have always been creative.  Always.    I started painting when a friend of mine made her New Years Resolution to "Have more art in her life."   I asked if I could join her in the resolution.  So we made a pact that I would go to her house for 2 hours every Sunday and we would make "art."   I had no idea what I was going to do, just that it would be art.    I started painting because I had leftover house paint and some canvas that I found at Goodwill.    That was it.   I could not STOP painting.   Still cannot stop painting.   I paint every day.”


Helvi, do you use a weird, different material or technique and does that inspires you? 

“I use reclaimed and recycled acrylic house paint as my medium.   I get leftover paint from friends and oftentimes I frequent the ReStore looking for bright colors of paint there.   Color does not scare me.  Beige scares me.   I have done my research and have been told by experts that house paint will last as long as any other paint.  It is just a different viscosity from other paints and the pigments a little different.   I am just used to it, and love knowing that each painting is an act of recycling.”

When people come to your studio, Helvi, what will they see you doing? 

“When you come to my studio, you will have to go up the steps that I painted, as the Italianate design of my building has the basement at ground level and the rest of the house is upstairs.   You will walk into my gallery that has bright ORANGE walls.   Then you may see me in my paint apron flinging paint hither and thither on my paint table at the end of the gallery!”


Helvi, can you describe what is unique and inspiring about your studio?

“My studio (and Gallery) is in a house built in 1875.   I paint in what used to be the dining room.   The living area is now my gallery.   Each year I paint the front steps in a different way.   Last year I "tagged" my own steps with the word, "art" with spray paint.  All over!   Art Art Art.  Then someone else tagged my steps!  They added letters to the "art."   P-Art  W-Art   C-Art  - what a hoot!”

See Helvi making art and get inspired during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment