Saturday, September 26, 2015

Inside the Studio: Jewel Starz.






Creating art takes more than talent and inspiration, it takes time and space.  Every artist’s space is as unique as the art they create.  And that’s what makes the FREE Washington County Open Studios tour unique, too.  You get to visit the artist and see them create in their studios across Washington County. 

Today, you can get a quick inside look into one of our 41 artists on this year’s tour.  As well as an insight into their art process and what you might see on our tour, October 17th and 18th.


Jewel, can you describe your studio to us?

“A brand new studio was built this summer on the acreage where I live with gardens, llamas and chickens! I have been using a room in the basement of my home as my studio space and the light is not the best but the cool temperatures allows for working at any hour.

I am looking forward to the "LIGHT" in the new studio and views of the gardens and pond. I also plan on teaching classes this winter. I would love to share time with others at all skill levels and just enjoy each other’s company, as studio work can be such a solitary endeavor.”


When you begin your work, what inspires you, Jewel?

“What has been my most recent inspiration has been returning to Oregon, my home state, and falling in love with the colorful spring landscapes of my childhood again. I have travelled and lived from Vermont to California, Alaska to Florida and with family in B.C. Canada. Recent discovery of The Group of Seven landscape artists of the 1930's (Emily Carr an unofficial member) inspired my recent return to painting after a 25 year absence in my life.”
Jewel, how did you find your way to art and what obstacles did you overcome?

“My aunt Adele, also a kindergarten teacher, encouraged me from a very early age. She even kept a drawing for me that I have to this day. It is 60 years old.

My childhood was full of trauma and tragedy and this world of art has been a life line of hope and joy in those times and in my adult life. My loss of my home in Vermont to foreclosure and being homeless led me back to my art after 25 years. This was the blessing before me. I have come back home to where I am most alive and happy and the landscape before me is ready to paint!”


When people come to your studio, Jewel, what will they see you doing?

“When you come to my studio I will have up to three paintings in progress. I paint in layers and take photos as I go to record my experience. This process of layering of the acrylic paint is where I learn and see what is possible. This is where the greatest enjoyment is for me. I watch as several paintings (layers) take shape into one final piece.”

See Jewel’s art and get inspired October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

1 comment:

  1. Very much looking forward to seeing your studio and new work! Love your Mona Lisa at the Art Center

    ReplyDelete