Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Inside the Studio: Sierra Lonepine Briano.




Creating art takes more than talent and inspiration, it takes time and space.  Every artist’s space is as unique as the art they create.  And that’s what makes the FREE Washington County Open Studios tour unique, too.  You get to visit the artist and see them create in their studios across Washington County. 

Here, you can get a quick inside look into one of our artists on this year’s tour.  As well as an insight into their art process and what you might see on our tour.


Sierra, can you describe your studio for us?

“The inspiration for my studio came when a friend was getting new windows in her house and she had a bunch of beautiful 1930's windows to get rid of. I took them and stored them for about 2 years before work began on my studio. The process has been going on for about 5 years now!

I love the space. It has great light and contains a "cob" earthen wall that I built myself with the help of friends. Since my workers were a variety of folks, some who knew what they were doing and some who didn't, my studio is "eclectic". It has great light and a large working area, but I'm still working on getting some of the problems with it solved. That will probably only take about 10 more years!!!”


When you begin your work, Sierra, what inspires you?

“I am inspired by all kinds of things. Nature, dreams, visual images, weird things that I see or experience, sarcasm, humor, politics, color, design. I never know when I'm going to get an idea about art. Often times the final piece is a process that comes out as I am working.”


Sierra, how did you find your way to art?

“Graduating from Art school at age 39, I was a late bloomer. I was interested in art as a younger person and even began painting, but I was not encouraged to be creative when I was growing up. As a result I did the traditional things, got married, and had a child. After "tuning in, turning on, and dropping out" in the sixties, I began to access more of my creativity. Finally, Art school became a reality. It's hard to believe that was 26 years ago.” 

What weird, different material or technique do you use, Sierra, and does that inspires you?

“Using a variety of materials is what I love. Constant discovery of "stuff" is my passion. Found objects, yard debris, decorated papers, things found in hardware stores, old things, dirt, rocks, rusty stuff, recycled things, photos, old paper, just to name a few. A recent find was the paint chippings off a fishing boat that was being repainted! Yum!!!”


Sierra, when people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

“When visitors come to my studio I may be painting, embossing tin, working with found objects, painting fabric or smearing mud on my earthen wall!! My studio is another world for me, a haven, a place where I enter another dimension.”

See Sierra’s studio and get inspired October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment