Monday, September 28, 2015

Meet the Artist: Michele Bufton.




How does an artist get started making art?  Where do they get their inspiration?  What kind of weird things do they use to make art?  And where do they create?

Get the answers and see inside all 41 artists’ studios during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.

Here’s a quick interview with one of this year’s new artists, Michele Bufton.

Can you describe your studio?
My studio is a small room dedicated to all things Art.  It has a large window that beams with daylight.  My easel is set up beside the window, a small desk size table below the window to hold my palette and supplies.  A larger desk sits in the middle of the room, on which I lay out subject matter for studio paintings, gesso canvases and boards, and place recently completed paintings to dry.” 


When you begin your work, what inspires you and/or gets you going?

“I get inspired to paint by looking at paintings sitting on my easel.  Passages in the paintings draw my attention and lead me into painting.  Before long, the hours have passed.  I like to leave the painting up and reflect back on it after a day of painting.”


How did you find your way to art?

“I began painting in acrylics at the age of eleven and have always been fascinated with the intensity and subtleness of color.  I've always painted throughout my life, but my intense study of art began in 1994.  After raising three children and a career in the Hospitality Industry, my love of art led to exploration in a variety of mediums (Watercolor, Acrylic, oil).  I've studied with many artists over the years with each offering their expertise to culminate into the skills that I have today.  I enjoy studio painting where my surroundings and supplies are easily accessible.  I also enjoy venturing out to plein air painting.”

I will have a solo show in September at the Lake Oswego Review.  I currently am a member of the Westside Artists Guild, a group of plein air painters which travel to local areas and paint.  We also have a monthly critique group. I am a juried member of Lake Area Artists and show curator for 2014 and 2015, as well as Vice President.  I am President of Lake Area Artists for the upcoming year, starting in September. 

What different materials or techniques do you use and how does that inspire you?

“I've been known to use a variety of techniques in painting.  Thin glazes, thick impasto, gesso, papers, inks.  All have their place in the studio.  Each piece of art that I create is a moment, a feeling, an emotion, translated through my eyes to share with the viewer.”


When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing …what part of your process?

“During open studios, I will set up a still life to paint in my studio, or in the front yard.  And weather permitting, I will be painting. “


Meet Michele and all the other 40 artists October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment