Sunday, September 20, 2015

Inside the Studio: Darla Boljat




Creating art takes more than talent and inspiration, it takes time and space.  Every artist’s space is as unique as the art they create.  And that’s what makes the FREE Washington County Open Studios tour unique, too.  You get to visit the artist and see them create in their studios across Washington County. 

Today, you can get a quick inside look into one of our 41 artists on this year’s tour.  As well as an insight into their art process and what you might see on our tour, October 17th and 18th.

Darla, tell us a little about your studio.

“My studio used to be my son’s room which my husband and I remodeled after he enlisted in the Marine Corps and moved out. Now my studio is my entire house, as well as my back yard occasionally. I usually set up on our table in the dining room so when I go about my daily activities I can remember to work on my art, and thus have no excuses not to create.

I believe the most inspiring part about my studio is that I am able to create in any circumstances because I have my art accessible and available. I am prepared to create anytime, every day even when obligations are keeping me busy. Through this set-up, I can balance my family and my art.”

When you begin your work, Darla, what inspires you?

“The challenge to recreate the beauty that I see in a subject is what drives me to create. I really enjoy re-creating details I see in nature.”

Darla, how did you find your way to art?

“I was a single mom in the 80’s and learned perseverance as I worked full time in customer service to support my son and I, ultimately purchasing my own home as a single mom in 1993. After 2005, when I became a professional artist, I have learned to say no to things I used to do which consumed my time and energy, and to embrace the fact that it is a priority at this point in my life to be here for my family and also create art.

Although some people may disagree, I believe I need to create every day. I still have friends today to whom I have to say no about getting together all the time but most of my friends have happily stood by me and supported my art and the time and commitment it takes to be an artist.

I had obstacles early in my life before I even knew I was an artist, including having undiagnosed ADHD as a child. Today, I use the boredom from my ADHD to continually create, learn and experiment in my art.”



What weird, different material or technique do you use, Darla, and does that inspires you?

“I have tried many techniques in creating and made a lot of my own techniques. I have created art using Polyurethane mixed with paint. I have created paintings incorporating real leaves and recycled items, as well as foil embossing created to imprint wine bottle labels.  I included it in my art and I have even painted over the foil embossing. These pieces allow me to play with new materials to create entirely new looks, textures, and finishes.”

Darla, when people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

“I have no idea at this point what I will be working on during open studio in October but I am sure it will be fun!”

See Darla’s studio and get inspired October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment