Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Where Do Artists Make Art in Tigard?




“I’ve worked in many spaces in and around my home over the last 20 years.  My first studio was in a corner of the master bedroom on a tall drafting table where I could paint out of reach of my toddler and preschooler.  My current work, in porcelain clay, requires several different kinds of spaces depending on whether I’m throwing, hand-building, sculpting or doing horsehair raku.  Now, I lovingly call my studio Thing 1 and Thing 2,” says ceramic artist, Susan Gallacher-Turner.

Susan says, “Thing 1 is my garage where I throw, do raku and fire my work in the kiln. Thing 2 is inside my home where I hand-build and sculpt.  But no matter whether I’m working in Thing 1 or Thing 2, Jilly, my sweet yellow lab, is there curled up on her bed keeping me company.”

See where artists, Pam Nichols, Susan Gallacher-Turner and Virginia Parks make art in Tigard and in your neighborhood during Washington County Open Studios Tour, October 17 and 18 from 11 am to 5 pm. Over 40 artists will be opening their studio doors for you.  And it’s FREE.


Encaustic artist, Pam Nichols describes her new studio, “I’m so excited about my new studio space. If you were at my studio last year, I have upgraded to the whole downstairs of our split level house. There are no stairs to come into my work space just a few turns. Having this new space allows me to work on much larger panels, to have all my tools and supplies easily read to use. My dog loves to hang out with me due to how cool our downstairs is during this super-hot summer.”

Inside or outside, upstairs or down, artists find many creative ways to create.  And they’ll show how they do it and where October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm. Free tour map and artist information is on the Washington County Open Studios Tour website www.washcoart.org


No comments:

Post a Comment