Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Inside the Studio: Angela Neiwert




Creating art takes more than talent and inspiration, it takes time and space.  Every artist’s space is as unique as the art they create.  And that’s what makes the FREE Washington County Open Studios tour unique, too.  You get to visit the artist and see them create in their studios across Washington County. 

Today, you can get a quick inside look into one of our 41 artists on this year’s tour.  As well as an insight into their art process and what you might see on our tour, October 17th and 18th.



Angela, tell us a little about your studio.

“I have been building my studio in the backyard and have just finished it.  Whew!

My new studio is located in my back yard and has a natural wetland area behind it.  We live in town in the Bethany area and really enjoy the Parks and Recreation green spaces around our home and the great walking/biking paths.  I have garden boxes, fruit trees around my studio.  I am influenced by the diversity of nature found in the Pacific Northwest.”  
 
When you begin your work, what inspires you, Angela?

“Clay is my primary medium and I have been obsessed with this wonderful material of the Earth since 1991.  I love the process of transforming the clay into hand-coiled and slab-built sculptures as well as throwing on the wheel.  My sculptures often contain multiple segments that require an installation experience.  There is a storytelling quality that accompanies each sculpture and each design on my pots.  I am always in awe regarding the versatility of clay and its endless possibilities continually excite me and challenge me as an artist.

Intertwining the elements of nature and sense of nostalgia, I have been experimenting with paper doll dresses as a theme in porcelain clay. I have been combining botany with pressing plant material into the clay as well as layers of painted imagery overlapping on the porcelain dresses.” 

Angela, how did you find your way to art?

“My Mom painted with oils and now is an avid quilter.  She influenced my love for art.  When I was attending Boise State University I realized that art was extremely important to me.  Over time I realized that art is as important as the air I breath, when I am not making art I feel like a fish out of water gasping for air.  After receiving my BFA I spent 7 years making and selling art full time, then I went back to school and obtained my MFA degree.  I have taught at Art Camps, private lessons and ceramic classes at BSU.”  



What weird, different material or technique do you use, Angela?

“I have been experimenting with taking materials from nature and coating them in porcelain slip and firing them.  I have had excellent results with hornet nests.  I also have been combining found art objects with pit fired antique doll faces and porcelain dresses.  You have to see it to really appreciate it.”

Angela, when people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

“They will see a 10 x 10 display of pottery, sculptures and demos of throwing on the wheel.  They can even take a turn at throwing on the wheel.  This is an inspiring time to see the creative energy that is in your neighborhood.”

See Angela’s studio and get inspired October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment