Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Meet the Artist: JoAnn Pari-Mueller.




How does an artist get started making art?  Where do they get their inspiration?  What kind of weird things do they use to make art?  And where do they create?

Get the answers and see inside all 41 artists’ studios during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.

Here’s a quick interview with one of this year’s new artists, JoAnn Pari-Mueller.


Describe your new studio. What is unique and inspiring about your studio set up? “My new studio, constructed this past year, has great light and views of our inspirational garden out each window. It’s filled with quirky art and unique and stimulating objects. My two Papillion’s, Daphne and Minerva (collectively known as the “goddesses”), like to hang out with me there.”

When you begin your work, what inspires you and/or gets you going?

“I have a huge file of ideas (three blind mice wearing designer glasses?) and images so there’s never enough time to do all I want - I also am often inspired by the flower or bird or bug “du jour” in the garden. I always take a small journal and paints with me when I travel, too.”


How did you find your way to art?

“About 5 years ago, after early retirement from my nursing career, I decided that I wanted to learn to create something that I could leave behind for my family and friends.

I have many acquaintances that write stories, poetry, music, or create paintings, weavings, sewing, or knitting and realized that I lacked the ability to do any of those things.  I had always loved decorating and collecting art, but had never before felt the urge to create. I especially credit my mother and her best friend (both painter/printmakers) with inspiring me to start. I began with the basics and took many classes over the past 5 years and tried to work on my art almost daily. I literally started from ground zero, never having touched paper to pencil in an artistic way before.
Finding that hidden creative niche of the brain may take a while, but once you open that door – watch out!”

What odd, weird, different material or technique do you use?
“I often combine watercolors with calligraphy and like the looks of the colors and curves of nature juxtaposed with black and white and the straight lines of grids.”


When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing …what part of your process?

“I will be working on a watercolor/calligraphy piece in the studio  - demonstrating different techniques and interesting tools used to apply paint and calligraphic ink.”

Meet JoAnn and all the other 40artists October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment