Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Inside the Studio: Jo Reimer.




Creating art takes more than talent and inspiration, it takes time and space.  Every artist’s space is as unique as the art they create.  And that’s what makes the FREE Washington County Open Studios tour unique, too.  You get to visit the artist and see them create in their studios across Washington County. 

Here, you can get a quick inside look into one of our 41 artists on this year’s tour.  As well as an insight into their art process and what you might see on our tour, October 17th and 18th.


Jo, can you tell us a about your custom-designed studio?

“My studio is a loft-like area that is a half-floor above my living area, open to the rest of the house. It was designed as a studio when we built the house and had lots of built in cabinets as well as a walk-in pantry for storing less frequently used tools of the trade. An added bonus is the balcony which overlooks our landscaped back garden, a place to sit and read or a space where I can spray-varnish completed works.

I have a huge table on wheels where I stand to work on collages and paintings. In 1996, when I was a pattern designer, the studio was featured prominently in Dream Sewing Spaces, Design & Organization For Spaces Large and Small, by Lynette Ranney Black. It’s been rearranged several times to suit my current needs, an easy to do task because of several moveable tables and a couple of vintage cabinets, including a wooden sewing pattern cabinet and a vintage type-setters cabinet.

I’ve set up a study/reading/napping corner complete with under-the-windows bookshelves and a cozy recliner. Another corner houses a built-in desk and file drawers with computer and printers at hand.”


When you begin your work, Jo, what inspires you?

“Starting has always been a problem for me, whether it’s finding my way into new work or simply getting started each morning. Writing works for me. I take out my studio journal and write about whatever is on my mind and all at once I find myself planning a new work or solving a problem I’ve encountered on the works in progress.

Another way I start is to play with my papers. As a collage artist my papers are my palette and as a colorist I get excited about color. So when I’m stuck I get out a tray of papers, cutting and tearing tools, and start reducing the papers to smaller sizes and different shapes. As the papers stack up on the table I’ll notice combinations that interest me and before I know it I’m off and running, making something new out of what’s on hand.
Other times, paint does it. Perhaps I’ve notice a group of colors in photo or magazine that intrigues me so I’ll get out the acrylics and figure out how to mix those colors. I do these color experiments on paper or board because I never know when the play will lead to something wonderful. I can tear up the paper to use in collage and the painted board becomes the background for collage. Nothing is wasted, except for the rags on which I wipe my brush, and even those get used, too.”


Jo, how did you find your way to art?

“I was a home economist specializing in clothing and textiles and then in contemporary embroidery. While living in London, England, I had the opportunity to visit the many exhibitions of embroidered works of art, some ancient but most new and exciting and different, artworks that were as revered as paintings. So I studied embroidery there and taught embroidery as an art form once I returned to Portland.

I studied color and worked as a color consultant, made quilts, started a business designing sewing patterns for travel, but all the while I was feeling a deep need to learn to paint. So I sold my business, stopped sewing, took drawing lessons, and started painting. I haven’t looked back other than to thank God that I had such a solid foundation of design, color, and composition.

I’m still painting though mostly I paint the paper and then use the painted papers to form collages. I’m still putting pieces together, though now I’m composing paintings by gluing paper to board rather than sewing pieces of fabric to form clothing or quilts. After all, collage is a form of applique and I learned how to do that over 50 years ago.”


What weird, different material or technique do you use, Jo?

“Most collage artists use found papers gleaned from printed media or junk mail. I seldom use anything other than my own painted papers. And I also use vintage office paper, old letter, notes and lists, my uncle’s old sheet music and 1918 collage yearbook as well as a few bits of commercial paper from the art store.

I have lots of techniques in my tool bag for creating these papers including direct painting, printing, dyeing, stamping, discharge, pleating, transfer and others; it’s all fun and games when I’m making my papers. Then these painted papers which are my palette of colors are sorted into six color families and neutrals and kept in big drawers, easily accessible to my work table.”

Jo, when people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

“I’m building a list of processes to show my visitors during Open Studio. They’ll find me behind my worktable simply having fun. I will be printing with a Gelli Plate, tearing papers into useable sizes, painting with a brayer, dripping paint and ink, drawing lines on paper, showing how to do my form of asemic writing and giving them a go at doing it, too. I hope to show a couple of ways I actually paint the papers using ink and thinned acrylic paint on tough Japanese washi paper. Each day I’ll be working on a collage.”

See Jo making art and get inspired October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment