Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Meet the Artist: Evelyn Fritz




How does an artist get started making art?  Where do they get their inspiration?  What kind of weird things do they use to make art?  And where do they create?

Get the answers and see inside all 41 artists’ studios during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.

Here’s a quick interview with one of this year’s new artists,  Evelyn Fritz.

What is unique about your studio set up?
“My studio is in my home and it is divided into two areas.  The main studio and my little encaustic corner, which overlooks my patio.”


When you begin your work, what inspires you and/or gets you going?
“I love to experiment so any new tool or method that helps me to create texture sets me into a creative mood.”


How did you find your way to art?
"For as long as I can remember, I have been interested in art.   It has been a long journey and life does sometimes get in the way.  There was a period that I didn't work at it at all because of other demands. I was happy to get back into it.”
 
What weird, different material or technique do you use and does that inspires you?
“I use a lot of texture in my work and the newest thing that I have found to create that is tyvek .”


When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing …what part of your process?
“I will be showing how I use the various things  that I use to create that create texture.
 When people come to my studio I will be working with the tools that I use in my process. This could be  how I prepare tyvek, working with stamps which I make myself. (There are so many ways to make stamps that that could be a demonstration in itself.   How to do a transfer. Why some of these will work with one medium and not the other.  and how I actually apply my mediums to the substrate.”

Meet Evelyn and all the other 40 artists October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment