Saturday, October 3, 2015

Inside the Studio: Paulina Kriebel.




Creating art takes more than talent and inspiration, it takes time and space.  Every artist’s space is as unique as the art they create.  And that’s what makes the FREE Washington County Open Studios tour unique, too.  You get to visit the artist and see them create in their studios across Washington County. 

Today, you can get a quick inside look into one of our 41 artists on this year’s tour.  As well as an insight into their art process and what you might see on our tour, October 17th and 18th.


Paulina, can you tell us a little about your studio?

“After more than 35 years of working at home, I moved to a "real" studio 5 blocks from my house.  I love it and should have moved out much sooner.  It's over 1000 square feet, has 2 studio spaces and a dye/print area with a washer & dryer.  I’ve been there about a year and a half by the time of Open Studios, and it's hard to remember ever being anywhere else.  It is in a small commercial building with a couple of great neighbors - my husband's cabinet shop (Hardwood Design) and a hard cider brewery (Bull Run Cider).  And there’s a parking lot for events like Open Studios.”


When you begin your work, Paulina, what inspires you and gets you going?

“I never have a problem "getting going" - I'm a very motivated person, self-employed as an artist my entire adult life (although I've changed media a few times).  As for actual inspiration, my best ideas come early in the morning while I'm lying in bed in a semi-awake state.”
Paulina, how  did you find your way to art in spite of any obstacles in your path?

“Making art was my escape from a somewhat turbulent family life, and I've really never done much else to make a living since I was about 19.”
Do you use any odd, weird, different material or techniques, Paulina?
  
“I am not using any odd materials, not really into the whole recycled art thing.  I use high-quality materials and fabrics and want my garments to be comfortable, look good on people and last a long time.”


Paulina, when When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

“I am not sure exactly what I'll be doing when guests come; I could be painting, dyeing, printing, sewing.  Possibly constructing appliques or sewing them on to garments.”
See Paulina’s studio and get inspired October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment