Sunday, October 4, 2015

Lynn Adamo: A Peek into her Process.




How do artists make art?  The answer is as unique as the art and artist.  And on the Washington County Open Studios tour October 17th and 18th, you get a peek behind the scenes into the art making process.  Every artist is opening up their studio to you, showing you their materials, inspirations and demonstrating what they do and how they create art.

Here is a quick peek into one of our 41 artists on this year’s tour.



Lynn, when you begin your work, what inspires you?

“My initial inspiration comes from the natural world and decay of the man-made built world. I take photos of things that interest me wherever I go, and keep these ideas in mind when it comes to starting new pieces.”

How did you find your way to art, Lynn?

“My first career was as a graphic designer, so my professional life always had a thread of creativity running through. As I discovered mosaic art and began to learn techniques to create art in a new way, a second career presented itself to me. I have been extremely fortunate in having a supportive husband who encouraged me to follow my new passion and ultimately retire from my first career in order to do so. If I’ve had any obstacles to progress in my art, they have all been self-imposed. It is a personal struggle to push forward and improve the practice of my art.”

Lynn, do you use a weird, different material or technique and how does that inspires you?

“I love rust! I search out old rusty hardware and all sorts of detritus of mechanized civilization. I sometimes also rust my own steel scraps to use as substrates or part of my art pieces.”

When people come to your studio, Lynn, what will they see you doing?

“Visitors will see all sorts of materials I use and a couple of projects in process. They will see how I cleave stone and the mosaic glass called smalti with a hammer and hardie.”
Lynn can you describe what is unique and inspiring about your studio? 
“My studio is attached to my home. It was our original garage that we converted to a studio in a remodel 18 years ago. It opens up onto the courtyard, which is used as an outdoor living/dining room in the summer.”

See Lynn making art and get inspired during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment