Sunday, October 18, 2015

What inspires artists in Tigard?







“I walk everyday around a lake and through the woods.  This is always inspiring and my work reflects my love of buds, blossoms and fallen leaves in the handles on my mugs, stamps on my vases and vines on my masks. I love the feel of porcelain clay in my hands.  When I put my hands around a ball on the wheel, I close my eyes and relax.  The more I center myself, the easier it is to center the clay.  I don’t always plan what I’m going to make and, actually, the less I plan whether it’s a bowl, cup or vase, the better the piece turns out,” says ceramic artist, Susan Gallacher-Turner.

You’ll get to see the magic of creation and inspiration that turns ordinary materials into art for FREE.  During the Washington County Open Studios tour, 41 artists will be opening up their studios  October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5 pm right in your own neighborhood.


Encaustic artist, Pam Nichols says, “I have learned that creating art is a practice that inspiration comes to me when I am working. I don't wait to be inspired; otherwise I might not do anything.  I made it a habit to do something I enjoy first thing when I go into the studio.  I write in my journal for a few minutes about anything that is in my head at the time. When I am writing, I look around my studio and am so grateful to have the space I have and everything else that is in my life. Then I just start working, which leads to working on something else which leads to more new work.”

There's so much to see!  And it’s FREE!   So mark your calendar for October 17 & 18th from 11 am to 5 pm for the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Tigard artists: Susan Gallacher-Turner, Pam Nichols, Virginia Parks.  For more info on artists and tour map go online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment