Monday, October 12, 2015

Terry Grant: Getting Ready for the Open Studios Tour.

This will be the fifth year that I have been a part of the Washington County Artists Open Studios and I am getting ready!

I really love having my little studio in the woods open to the public for those two days. I get to meet so many nice people, as well as seeing a lot of my old friends. My art form, art quilts, is something new to a lot of people and Open Studios is an opportunity to show and explain what it is. Art Quilts are, in fact, gaining recognition all over the world and I know many, many such artists. We call ourselves fiber artists, fabric artists or art quilters, but the only real resemblances to traditional bed quilts are the tools and techniques used. This is strictly wall art, like paintings, prints, weavings and other fine arts.

If you come to my studio you will see a lot of my art on display. Some of it will be for sale and I am always happy to sell something, but the primary purpose of the Open Studios is just meet our neighbors, let people see all the wonderful, creative work that is going on in our Washington County communities and maybe show you something you've never seen before.

My studio is my happy place, so I love sharing it. I have found, from past tours, that my visitors seem to be interested in how my work is made and especially the extensive stitching that goes into each piece that adds pattern and texture, so I will have some work to demonstrate on—possibly this piece that is in the machine quilting stage.

Free-motion quilting, like I do, is like drawing with a sewing machine. I might also be working on some of these little heart ornaments that are individually stitched with a different design for each one.


I'm also setting up a sewing machine with a sample quilt that visitors can try some free-motion quilting on.  Maybe you will leave here ready to embark on a new art form!


I hope you will come by and see me. Studios all over Washington County will be open October 17 and 18. The tour is free and we all have a great time. All the details are on our web site here. Look for our signs, balloons and happy artists.




No comments:

Post a Comment