Friday, October 2, 2015

Meet the Artist: Emma Weber.




How does an artist get started making art?  Where do they get their inspiration?  What kind of weird things do they use to make art?  And where do they create?
Get the answers and see inside all 41 artists’ studios during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.

Here’s a quick interview with one of this year’s new artists, Emma Weber


What is unique and inspiring about your studio set up?  

“My studio is always a mess. It is the one room in my house that never is fully cleaned. Having everything splayed out, in stacks and piles may look chaotic but it reminds me of all the projects I’m working on, and what I have at my disposal. On the walls you'll see scraps of projects and plenty of inspirations.

I share my studio with my mother and fellow artist Peg Falconer. It is also home to dog bed for our lab Sally, and you can often find little prints across the paper from cat Thomas. (Visitors may enjoy a waggy hello from Sally, but unlikely to see any signs of the cat.)

The studio window overlooks the back garden area, and if you need extra room, a supplemental “studio” can be used (it’s the dining room table).”


When you begin your work, what inspires you and/or gets you going?  

“As a primarily nature-inspired artist, the ease of stepping out your door and finding farmlands, mountains, forests, beaches, and wildlife that one has living in Washington County is an important muse for my work. I also require at least one cup of tea while making art, especially in the morning (which is the best time to work).”


How did you find your way to art? 

“Peg, my mother, is also the founder of the Washington County Open Studio Tours, and daughter of David Falconer.  Both my grandmother and grandfather were artistic and creative people.  David Falconer, my grandfather was a past tour participant and photographer.  After his passing last year and to honor his memory, the Falconer Education Fund was established.  As art clearly runs along that family line, it is no wonder I turned out as well.”

What weird, different material or technique do you use and does that inspires you?

“I like to work in a lot of different mediums as I get bored easily—guests will be able to view photography, print media (etching & letterpress), book arts, calligraphy, poetry, paintings & jewelry (made from my photographs).


When people come to your studio, what will they see you doing …what part of your process? 

“I’m not sure what sorts I’ll be working on that weekend as there are too many projects to organize so neatly. Perhaps I will be making soft leather journals—but we’ll see!”

Meet Emma and all the other 40 artists October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment