Sunday, October 11, 2015

Patti Isaacs: A Peek into her Process.




How do artists make art?  The answer is as unique as the art and artist.  And on the Washington County Open Studios tour October 17th and 18th, you get a peek behind the scenes into the art making process.  Every artist is opening up their studio to you, showing you their materials, inspirations and demonstrating what they do and how they create art.

Here is a quick peek into one of our 41 artists on this year’s tour.


Patti, when you begin your work, what inspires you or gets you going?
“Inspiration comes to me in many ways. An idea or word, something I've seen or a feeling I want to express. I will sometimes wake in the middle of the night or be unable to fall asleep due to a deluge of ideas spilling out of my mind.  I also find being with other creative individuals keeps me motivated and inspired.”
 

How did you find your way to art, Patti?
“Art has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. It has taken many forms from needlework, knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, sewing and costume design and quilting to pottery, drawing and painting. Different stages of my life have drawn me to the various forms.
In high school and college I studies art and had a fabulous teacher who encouraged discipline along with individual expression. Trying any and all forms that drew each of in.

It was nearly 15 years ago that a friend invite me to join her in her studio with a few other artists that really got me back to painting and finding I had  a passion for handmade paper crafting. These are the two main mediums I currently work in. However I love to push myself to rediscover or try new mediums and techniques.”
   


Patti, do you use a weird, different material or technique and does that inspires you?


“Silk and fabric dyes are my main art form. I paint on silk with Procien dyes using a French technique called Serti. I love the excitement of seeing the dye spread across the fabric finding its way to the boarders I have set up.”

 
When people come to your studio, Patti, what will they see you doing?
 
“I will have two pieces ready to be worked. I will discuss the process and materials I use. On one piece I will demonstrate the process and the second piece will be available for my guests to experience the exhilaration and excitement of painting on silk.”

 
Patti, can you describe what is unique and inspiring about your studio set up?  

“My studio is in my home. I have a designated room upstairs that houses all my supplies. It is where I create pieces using handmade papers as well as acrylic paintings. However, the magic of silk painting is done in the kitchen on my wide counter with a huge plastic cover and vinyl flooring! I have water available and easy clean up if the day turns messy.”

See Patti make art and get inspired during the 2015 Washington County Open Studios tour October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment