Thursday, October 15, 2015

Inside the Studio: Pam Nichols




Creating art takes more than talent and inspiration, it takes time and space.  Every artist’s space is as unique as the art they create.  And that’s what makes the FREE Washington County Open Studios tour unique, too.  You get to visit the artist and see them create in their studios across Washington County. 

Today, you can get a quick inside look into one of our 41 artists on this year’s tour.  As well as an insight into their art process and what you might see on our tour, October 17th and 18th.

Pam, tell us about your new studio set up.

“I’m so excited about my new studio space. If you were at my studio last year, I have upgraded to the whole downstairs of our split level house. There are no stairs to come into my work space just a few turns. Having this new space allows me to work on much larger panels, to have all my tools and supplies easily read to use. My dog loves to hang out with me due to how cool our downstairs is during this super-hot summer.”


When you begin your work, Pam, what inspires you?

“I have learned that creating art is a practice that inspiration comes to me when I am working. I don't wait to be inspired; otherwise I might not do anything.  I made it a habit to do something I enjoy first thing when I go into the studio.  I write in my journal for a few minutes about anything that is in my head at the time. When I am writing, I look around my studio and am so grateful to have the space I have and everything else that is in my life. Then I just start working, which leads to working on something else which leads to more new work.”


Pam, how do you find your way to art in spite of obstacles?

“My biggest obstacle was, and still is, myself.  Once I choose (in my mind) to be an artist and tell everyone around me that I am artist was a big hurdle to overcome.  It required pride and confidence; it feels good, well great now.  I have doubts sometimes, who doesn't, but I know that creating art is what truly makes me happy and I believe that if you focus on what makes you the happiest, then everything falls into place. Passion for doing what you love is a gift to be shared with the world.”

What weird, different material or technique do you use, Pam?
“Rust, Rusty Metal and more Rust!”


Pam, when people come to your studio, what will they see you doing?

“I will be demonstrating the process of encaustic painting.”

See Pam’s new studio and get inspired October 17 and 18 from 11am to 5pm during the Washington County Open Studios tour.  Get a FREE tour map and information online at www.washcoart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment